As part of our efforts to support you in your projects and initiatives, Celebrate Urban Birds offers free online training (webinars). You can participate alone, or with your co-workers, family, or friends. Everyone is welcome! During the webinars, explore resources, opportunities, events, and educational material that can help support your work and interest in birds, their habitat, and conservation in your community.
Recent Webinars (English)
To participate, all you need is internet access at a computer with audio, to sign up ahead of time for the webinars that interest you using the links below, and to connect at the indicated date and time. The following webinars will be conducted in Spanish and are geared towards educators and community organizations in Central and South America. Stay tuned for English-language webinars, usually presented in the spring. You can also check out past trainings from our Vimeo archive.
For more free webinars from the Lab of Ornithology, click here to visit BirdSleuth!
2017 Future Webinars (Spanish)
- Resources from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. In this webinar, we’ll tell you about the resources that the Lab has available in Spanish for your community, like eBird, the Macaulay Library Scientific Collection, Neotropical Birds, Celebrate Urban Birds, the smartphone app for bird identification “Merlin,” and how to use them. We’ll also talk about the opportunities that we offer to support you in your community activities. Duration: approximately 1 hour.
- All about eBird for educators. In this webinar, we’ll explain step-by-step how to use eBird resources and platforms associated with Latin America and the Caribbean. We’ll demonstrate how to create a free account, select preferences, input observations, use the maps and interactive graphics, and much more. Duration: approximately 1 hour.
- Merlin, the smartphone app: what it is and how it can support you. In this webinar, we’ll teach what the Merlin smartphone app is, how to use it, and how it can support your projects and individual or group activities. Duration: approximately 30 minutes.
- Presenting the Mexican Celebrate Urban Birds kit. In this webinar, we’ll discuss how and why the Mexican Celebrate Urban Birds kit came to be, what it is, and what it contains. Additionally, we’ll give you some ideas for how to use it, how it can accommodate your activities, and detailed instructions for how to share the data from your birding observations, either as an individual or a team. Duration: approximately 45 minutes.
- Planting for your community’s birds. In this webinar, we’ll talk about the important relationship between plants and birds and give some ideas for how to grow a personal or community garden that will help your regional birds at the same time. The majority of examples will be for North American gardens, however we’ll have some examples and tips for gardens in the Caribbean, Central America, and South America.
- Big Global Day for Birds of the Southern Hemisphere. This webinar is about the big event for birds of the Southern Hemisphere, how you can participate individually or as a group (whether or not you’re in the Southern Hemisphere), and how you can share your observations with us.
- Tuesday, October 3 @ 6PM (EST)
- Wednesday, October 4 @ 6PM (EST)
- Celebrate Urban Birds Mini-grants: what they are and how to apply. In this webinar, we’ll clarify what Mini-grants from Celebrate Urban Birds are, how to apply for them, and how they can help create events in your community.
- Wednesday, November 1 @ 6PM (EST)
- Tuesday, November 7 @6PM (EST)
- All about the Macaulay Scientific Collection for educators. In this webinar, we’ll explain step-by-step how to use the resources offered by the Macaulay Library Scientific Collection. Everyone interested in getting to know the diverse collection of audio, video, and photographic recordings and how to use them with their group is welcome.
- Wednesday, December 6 @ 6PM (EST)
- Tuesday, December 12 @ 6PM (EST)