We are happy to announce the 2021 mini-grant winners for Latin American and Caribbean organizations!
This year we received more than 200 applications to our mini-grant program and there were so many excellent proposals among them! It was inspiring to see so many organizations from all over Latin America and the Caribbean take a stand in protection of their local birds and other wildlife, education, citizen science, and the well-being of their communities.
It was not easy for the review committee to decide between so many outstanding applications. There were two types of proposals: community events or series of activities, and workshops for educators and community leaders. Both proposal types aim to protect and increase awareness about local birds and their habitat in their communities.
We selected organizations based on their creativity, potential to create a positive impact through the arts and culture, the creation or improvement of local habitat, citizen science, and geographic diversity. We also selected organizations which will train educators and community leaders in fun and informative workshops. Due to the pandemic this year, we gave preference to organizations which took sanitary measures to protect their participants and the organizers of the activities. Likewise, we chose organizations which proposed working in small regular groups over a long period of time, rather than large gatherings.
We thank all the applicants for all their hard work and effort to promote bird appreciation, conservation and citizen science in their communities.
The selected organizations are:
- Asociación de Producción Artesanal Asoahuanowarmis ( Mujeres de Ahuano), Ecuador
- Asociación Minga de Campesinos La Orquídea, ASORQUÍDEA, Colombia
- BIOEDEST, Peru
- Centro Social Educativo la Libélula, Bolivia
- Cha’an Ch’íich’, Mexico
- Colectivo Chalhiuhtlicue, Mexico
- Corporación Universitaria Minuto de Dios, Colombia
- Empresa Flora y Fauna Santiago de Cuba, Cuba
- Garcitas Verdes Champotón – Observadores de la Bahía, Mexico
- Grupo de Investigación Los Caciques, Colombia
- Grupo Científico de Monitoreo de Aves de la Amazonía Ecuatoriana, Ecuador
- Guaravito, Costa Rica
- IE Cañaveral, Colombia
- Iniciativa Turismo Alternativo, Mexico
- Institución Educativa el Sesteadero, Colombia
- La Casa del Artista, Nicaragua
- Pájaro Cú – Aves de Loma Bonita, Mexico
- Pájaros de mi Vereda, Colombia
- Pataxó Indigenous Youth Association (Associação de Jovens Indígenas Pataxó, AJIP), Brasil
- Peten Birders Association, Guatemala
- Plataleas Bird Club, Mexico
- Programa de Aves Urbanas (PAU) Guayaquil, Ecuador
- Programa de Aves Urbanas (PAU) Minatitlán – Alas Libres, México
- Universidad Nacional de Agricultura, Honduras