Creating a Culture of Bird Watching Within the City!

April 4th – May 4th, 2019
Morelia, Michoacán, México

Siruki Educación Ambiental A.C. (Siruki Environmental Education) is an amazing organization dedicated to spreading knowledge and appreciation of local biodiversity to foster an environmental culture of action, respect, and care of life in local communities. The organization is from Morelia, Michoacán, México  and they conduct monthly bird watching tours in communities and urban green areas such as parks and protected areas. Participants use binoculars and the Merlin Bird ID app to replicate the wonderful experience with their family, friends, colleagues or students. During each bird tour the participants discover what it means to freely observe the birds within their city. They begin to appreciate birds and our shared habitat!

Thanks to the binocular mini-grant from Optics for the Tropics and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Siruki Environmental Education A.C. can engage more people in bird watching! Participants learn about birds and their identification. After the bird walks the participants can differentiate and identify bird species more easily. They are excited to see the birds that share their city up close! The birding tours allow participants to learn teamwork and make friends that are also interested in conserving and enjoying the biodiversity in the city.

Some comments from the bird observation participants:

“Thanks for lending us these binoculars, they look great are not heavy.”

“Bird watching is therapeutic; I feel calmer after finishing a bird tour.”

“I finally saw the eyes of a wild bird! They shine so beautifully. “

“Now I look for birds when I walk down the street and I can already recognize some.”

“I’m going to save to buy binoculars.”

For several months, Siruki Educación Ambiental A.C. also did biweekly visits to a local school where members of the organization worked with elementary school children implementing more than 15 of the fun educational activities in the Mexican Action Guide of Celebrates Urban Birds. The children were so excited and learned so much about their beautiful birds in their environment, that Siruki Educación Ambiental A.C. interviewed the children while filming. In the interview, kids shared what they learned, what they liked about the activities, and the details of the birds they love most. The video is beautiful and inspiring! You can watch it below (in Spanish):

Explore more 'Events' and 'Mini-grants'